Ebumi Masaru ( 江文優 ) is a second-year winger in the Kanagawa High School Rugby Club. He started playing rugby in high school after being invited by Hachiouji Mutsumi.
Ebumi has spiky, short hair that he regularly bleaches blond. He wears extensions with the appearance of two long spikes sticking out from the base of his head. He wears mascara more often than not, just because he thinks long eyelashes are punk. Ebumi is of average height. Build-wise, he is rather muscular and is noted to have especially powerful thighs.
It is shown in chapter 37, that Ebumi was given a lot of money as a child because his parents were never home, and he could not spend it all.
During his walk with Ise, there's also a mention of a man called "Mr. Takagi", who seems to be the source to Ebumi's money. It can be assumed this man is his step-father. As Ise confronts Ebumi about changing his name to "Takagi Masaru", Ebumi tells Ise he's never going to change his name.
He seems to have a close relationship with Matsuo, who is kind of like a big brother figure to everyone in the team. He respects him as someone he could talk to and practice with.
Before Ebumi joined the rugby club, he was usually seen hanging out with Ise.
Ebumi is fond of Ise and seems to dislike his older brother. He is the one who mostly encourages him to stay in the rugby team, even paying his weekly 'wages' just to shut his brother up. Ise, however, sometimes thinks Ebumi reminds him of his older brother when Ebumi is angry.
Suwa thinks of Ebumi as a trouble maker. They quarrel a lot but also keep each other in check, or at least Suwa did.
Given his speed, he is used to run after Matsuo's forward punts and to score tries.
Speed, Agility and Powerful Fends
Ebumi is the fastest player in the team, and he can borderline knee a defender literally down the throat to avoid fouls.
- His jersey number 11 specifically refers to the Left Wing position
- He plays rugby because the sport itself is another form of fights, but with rules.
- In a traditional sense, wings used to be the aces of the squad in terms of scoring tries, but the top points scorers in international rugby tends to be fly halves, as they kick goals and conversions, and orchestrates the offense.
- He wears mascara because he likes the way it makes him look "Edgy"
- Ebumi's appearence is similar to the Eyeshield 21 character, Hiruma Yoichi. Both characters share the same catchphrase, "YA-HA!" It's unknown whether this is made to be intentional or pure coincidence.